Re: Dump/restore

On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 13:54, Paul Howarth wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 12:07 -0500, Jesse Jarzynka wrote:
> >     Ok, I have noticed that Core 3 no long has a swap partition and
> > now only has 2 partitions,a boot and a LVM partition. This hasn't been
> > a problem until i tried to dump/restore. As a business once we get
> > Linux all configured we like to just dump/restore it to a whole
> > different HD all configured the way we do it. However Core 3 is not
> > working as core 2 has. I don't think there could be a problem with
> > either hard drive, has anyone else tried this with core 3? It's worked
> > with every other Linux o/s we've ever used except core 3.
> >
> > $ dump -0uf - /dev/hdb1 | restore xf -
>
> Can't you just dump/restore the logical volumes instead of the
> partitions?
>
> Or you could always partition the disk the "traditional" way manually
> instead of letting anaconda create the LVM setup.
>
> Paul.
> --
> Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I would love to just do the logical volumes, but when I boot with the
rescue disk and run fdisk -l all I see is the partitions. It won't even
let me mount the lvm partition, what's with that? What is the reasoning
for all these changes? Can anyone mount their core3 partition? I noticed
the partition changes during the install and just thought I'd try out
the new way, but I'm a little confused. Is there anything in the release
notes or a howto for this new way?
Jesse Jarzynka
Cyber Source
http://www.thecybersource.com/