Re: fstab-sync

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 09:04:34 -0700, Peter Hutnick <hutnick@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'd like to make some changes to my mountpoints, but this new
> hal/fstab-sync system is completely opaque to me.  The man page (which
> I can't get to just now) suggests reading some XML files and a web
> page.  I think the web page was on freedesktop.org, which is down
> right now.  The XML files were . . . not helpful.

there is a man page for fstab-sync. if you can explain your
requirements maybe people can help you better

> I've been googling, but I can't find any sort of "getting started"
> type guide to this new system.
>
> I'd also like to weigh-in as thinking that XML files and kookie little
> daemons are a step in the wrong direction from a "UNIX philosophy"
> point of view.  Having changes to a (flat-text-thank-you-very-much)
> file in /etc silently disappear on reboot is precisely the sort of
> "advance" that I switched away from Windows to escape.

flat files have several problems for instant apply multi user  non
file locking systems. dbus,hal, udev and gnome-volume-manager is part
of a stack which makes devices much more manageable. its different
from traditional unix philosophy because unix philosphy was never
applicable to things like hotplugging devices. its more important for
the system to be user friendly than unixy.  it might require a bit of
learning and unlearning and is frowned upon by many people used to
"real unix" systems but such changes are necessary. its called
evolution

--
Regards,
Rahul Sundaram