Re: Newbie question...

Giuseppe Greco wrote:
> unfortunately I use LVM, so I must run anaconda
> from a CD... isn't it?

[As opposed to using yum].

Fedora itself is "unsupported", in that there's no support contract.

A yum upgrade is "unsupported", in that it's not recommended.

But a yum upgrade with LVM is "supposed to break".

Seth Vidal (yum's maintainer) writes at
http://linux.duke.edu/%7Eskvidal/misc/fc1-fc2-yum-hints.txt:

> Upgrading from FC1 to FC2 usI> ing yum - a few suggestions:
>
> There are certain things only anaconda can do. There is no other way
> around it. If you're using LVM stop reading and know that you must use
> anaconda to do this upgrade.

It might be possible to use yum, then go in with fire, sword, and the FC
rescue CD, and do what Anaconda would have done. But this is untested,
undocumented, needs someone local, and will mean more downtime than a CD
upgrade.

It might mean a *lot* more downtime.

James.
--
E-mail address: james | "My aunt's camel has fallen in the mirage."
@westexe.demon.co.uk  |     -- "Soul Music", Terry Pratchett.