Re: fc 3 powerdown hang

Hi Phil,
On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 23:06:02 -0500, Phil Schaffner
> Just changed my kernel line in grub.conf to
>
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=LABEL=/1 acpi=ht
>
> based on Comment #4 in BZ 139211 (don't care for "rhgb quiet"),
> rebooted, then shut down to test -> SUCCESS!  Actually powered down by
> itself for the first time since sometime in FC3 test series.  Posted a
> comment in 132761 which is the master bug for this problem.
>
> Now, since my machine is a plain Athlon 1GHz, and not hyperthreaded, WHY
> does this work?  :-)

Probably because a problem with acpi is causing it not to power off
(at least that is the way it works) and "acpi=ht" turns off a lot of
the acpi stuff apparently.  For a non-hyperthreaded machine, I would
guess that this is basically equivalent to "acpi=off" which also
"fixes" the problem.  Well, it actually only avoids the problem and is
by no means a reasonable long-term solution.  Though, it should be
noted that this is basically just an annoyance; the system is shutdown
properly, it just does not turn off the power supply automatically.

> Phil

Jonathan