Kernel panic on first boot in fedora 3

Hi all,
I've just downloaded and installed Fedora 3 x86_64 on an nforce 3 board
with an Athlon 64 socket 939 and a SATA disk (important detail)
As far as I could tell installation went well but upon reboot I got the
fatal message when selecting fedora at the grub prompt :
 [...]
 ata2 failed to respond (30 secs)
 mkrootdev: label /1 not found
 mount: error 2 mounting ext3
 mount: error 2 mounting none
 switchroot: mount failed: 22
 umount /initrd/dev failed: 2

And that's it...
I can boot in rescue mode ("linux rescue" at boot prompt ) and mount the file system in rescue mode.
With Fedora 2 and the latest kernels (2.6.8) I had somewhat similar problems (same architecture exactly).
With Fedora 2, I got the following message at boot :

Kernel Panic : VFS  Unable  to mount root fs on unknown-block (0, 0)

To be precise, my system worked fine with Fedora 2 and kernel 2.6.5-1.358 (and yes options in grub.conf were the same in fedora 2).

Thus, my main questions are to the fedora list : what can I do (through kernel recompile, or grub.conf options)or whatever) to adress the issue ?
Any suggestion is welcome...

Alexandre