Re: failure to boot

Gerhard H. W. May wrote:
I have now done that. The machine hangs at the same position during
booting. The last few lines on the screen are (I have to type this
manually):

-------------------------
SELinux: Disabled at runtime.
SELinux: Unregistering netfilter hooks
INIT: version 2.85 booting
Setting default font (latarcyrheb-sun16):	[ok]

Welcome to Fedora Core
Press 'I' to enter interactive startup.

Starting udev:	[ok]
Initializing hardware...	storage network audio
----------------------------

All this is very cryptic to me.

Hi Gerhard.

Sorry you're having problems.

I'm guessing that you're having trouble with the audio driver.

But FC2 did work on the same machine, and the test sound was fine.

What happened here is that the Ctrl-C killed the start-up script
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit . The most important job that this had left to do
was to remount the root filesystem as read-write. So Fedora tried
booting with a read-only filesystem. This didn't work...

There are two things for you to try, but to do this, you will need to be
able to edit files through a text terminal. And you will need a text
terminal that can edit things.

One way is to boot using the rescue CD, which should let you get at the
files. Another way would be to use something like Knoppix.

A third way would be to press "e" in grub, change the "ro" to "rw" in
the kenel line, and add "1" at the end. Then you might still need to
Ctrl-C out where you did before, but you should have an rewritable
filesystem.

I would *seriously* not recommend this for regular use!

I don't know which editors you are familiar with, so I'm probably going
to tell you to do things you aren't comfortable with. Please ask where I
go beyond your experience.

In any case, you will want to mount your root filesystem and edit two
files.

Check where your root filesystem is mounted: use the /mount command. You
will want to edit files on the normal Fedora filesystem, not the tree
that the rescue CD provides.

Edit etc/modprobe.conf. Make a note of the line beginning "alias
snd-card", then delete them. (If there's more than one line, then delete
that, too).

I' ve done that now and the boot process stopped at the same point. No change at all. I have then added the original lines back into the file (was I supposed to do that?) and went on to the next suggestion:

If that doesn't work, edit /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit. On line 171, change
"# IDE" to "echo -n IDE:Gerhard". Then see if that ever gets
displayed...

Yes, it did. the last line before the boot process hung now reads:

Initializing hardware... IDE:Gerhard storage network audio

Unfortunately, it still hangs at that point.

Sorry this is so complex: we're diving right into the heart of the
start-up here.

James.

So far that was not too complex. Thanks for trying to help. I wonder what else I could try?

Having said that, what could be the reason that FC2 worked, and FC3 doesn't? I installed FC2 only very recently, on this Tecra laptop which had been set up for dual-booting Windows 98 and some older version of Suse linux. I chose to remove all Linux installations (because I wanted to get rid of Suse. A few days later FC3 was released and I did not spend any more time with FC2. Could there be a problem with the partitions and this bootloader program which interferes with the operating systems? Windows seems to take forever as well to start up (well, even longer than I remember it doing).

Anyway, any help is appreciated.

Gerhard