Re: ati 9100 vs geforce4

Aaron Schlaegel wrote:
piero orsi wrote:

i'm in the position to switch from my actul video card
nvidia geforce4 mx 64mb to an ati 9100 128mb.

When I "upgraded" my system I got a ATI 9100.
For my old NVidia card I used binary rpms from livna that just worked.
I still have not got the ATI card to work. Although there is an rpm in livna testing.

From my experience, ATI is more talk than reality in their linux drivers. My hope is that when I upgrade to FC3 the new xorg drivers will work.

I will add that when I purchased my computer last December, I specified an ATI 9600 card as ATI had Linux Drivers on their site and I have always liked ATI cards.

After ~20 days of fighting, searching, scratching my head as to why the drivers would not work, I gave up and purchased an nVidia card. Up and running with the nVidia drives in less than 15 minutes.

I did find a review a few weeks ago about some nVidia based MOB not working with ATI cards.

I will not try an ATI card for many years. This cost me in returning the ATI card for resale and a new card along with many hours of frustration and lost time.

Even the nVidia drivers (not rpms) have worked and not caused me problems. nVidia seems more supportive of the Linux community than ATI.

I have an ATI 7500 at work that is okay. I do know people that have ATI 9600's working but they did allot of work to get them working.

--
Robin Laing