Re: How to mount a partition as root and make it world read-write?

Am Di, den 16.11.2004 schrieb Markku Kolkka um 14:14:

> VJ kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika tiistai, 16. marraskuuta
> 2004 14:34):

> >     That is not what I want. I do not wish to execute any
> > statement apart from the options in fstab.
>
> No matter what you wish or want, the /tmp directory (or
> filesystem mounted as /tmp) _must_ have the correct permissions
> to work corrcetly. The permissions of a directory are set with
> the "chmod" command, and must be 1777. Note that this is done
> only once, not every time the partition is mounted.

Yes, only _once_.

> > Also the method you
> > told does not work at all because if the root mounts that
> > partition, other uses cannot create files/directories(I tested
> > it, did you?)
>
> Give the chmod command _after_ you have mounted the filesystem
> as /tmp for the first time.

True too, that was the command order I posted :)

As Markku emphasises, it is exactly this way. I don't know which problem
you have, VJ. Yes, I am running /tmp as it's own partition. It is
mounted automatically using the fstab and I don't have to fiddle around
with the permissions. This is how the whole thing works by design.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 14:23:46 up 27 days, 12:03, load average: 0.04, 0.17, 0.24