Re: Yup, it's definitely fedora's fault, not my hardware.

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 19:38:07 -0800, Jon Savage <jonathansavage@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Now if only I can figure out how to get back to a working system with
> > something other than Fedora Core 3.

> as/if applicable of course. IMHO if there were a distinct trend
> towards the issues you are seeing this list would be *full* of
> 'mysystem'sgonetohell(tm)"  and is slower than snot since I installed
> FC3... I may be missing something but don't think I've seen that on
> this list since FC3's release. Other issues sure- this one not much.

I'm running unusual hardware (dual processor Athlon MP1800+, Tyan
motherboard) and running a lot of services (inn, postfix, mailman,
http, postgres, MovableType, mod_perl, etc).  I doubt very many have
the same setup.

One interesting thing - somebody on Slashdot told me that there is a
problem with HAL and udev if you have a CD-ROM and a hard drive on the
same controller - HAL polls the CD-ROM and while it's timing out, the
hard drive doesn't respond to requests, which causes the sort of
errors I saw.  The file Documentation/ide.txt in the 2.4 kernel
distinctly recommends that you put your two hard drives on separate
IDE controllers, and put your CD-ROM as a slave on the same controller
as one of your hard drives, which is how I've always done it.
However, the same file in the 2.6 kernel suggests not mixing device
types on the same controller.  I think I'm going to have to buy
another IDE controller and see if I have better luck with the CD-ROM
on hde.

--
 "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we
are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and