Re: dell blades so slow

Scott Ryan wrote:
On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 15:32 -0600, Justin Crabtree wrote:

We have several Dell blade servers, model 1655MC, being used as ldap servers. These are dual PIII machines with 1G RAM and two mirrored U160 SCSI drives with a U320 controller. They currently have Fedora Core 2 installed with version 2.1.29 of OpenLDAP running. We have been experiencing all kinds of latency and iowait problems with these servers compared with other hardware setups. Has anyone else encountered any similar problems?

I use dell 1650s and 1750s for openldap 2.1.30 ldbm (bdb) backend
I am running EL2.1 and these babys can handle up to 15k req/min.

I found a huge performance degradation when i tested with RHEL3.0 and
when i used bdb backend.

My suggestion is to try increasing the dbcache and the number of entries
openldap stores in cache. This would decrease the amount of disk reads
and should improve your I/O.

--
Justin Crabtree
Java Programmer

Is this a driver issue or is it something in the OS itself? I have tried tuning the cache in openldap and it helped but it is still way slower than the test server we setup on a supposedly inferior platform, IDE drives, less memory, one processor.

Justin Crabtree Java Programmer Ozarks Technical Community College 799-1573