Re: i586 Kernel 2.6 Hangs

J.T. Moore wrote:
Anyone else out there having problems with the 2.6 kernel on an i586? The problem i run into is that my system will hang after having been in use for several minutes when running the 2.6 kernel. I've run into this problem with the 2.6 kernels for FC2, kernels from source (kernel.org), and most recently the FC3 cd install/upgrade (I was able to upgrade although I had to manually freshen the rpms,resolve the depencies, and force udev to install since other stuff requires it and it requires the 2.6 kernel.

My system is pretty antiqutaed but it runs flawlessly on the 2.4 kernel (currently 2.4.26 custom):

CPU: K6/2 500 Mhz
Motherboard: FIC VA-503+
Memory: 512 MB PC-100 sdram
Nics: 3com 3c509 (three of them)
Video: ATI Radeon 7000
Hard Drive Type: IDE (two of them)
CDROM: IDE DVD-ROM

I have a K6/2 200MHz on an Asus TX97-E motherboard running with no problems on 2.6 kernels.

Paul.