Re: CPU Problem?

Hi Oliver,

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 23:07:38 +0100, Oliver Kiessler
<oliver.kiessler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> the directory exits. this is what it says:
>
> [root@stmarks cpufreq]# ls
> cpuinfo_cur_freq               scaling_available_governors  scaling_max_freq
> cpuinfo_max_freq               scaling_cur_freq             scaling_min_freq
> cpuinfo_min_freq               scaling_driver               scaling_setspeed
> scaling_available_frequencies  scaling_governor
>
> [root@stmarks cpufreq]# cat cpuinfo_cur_freq
> 1599960
>
> [root@stmarks cpufreq]# cat cpuinfo_max_freq
> 3066590
>
> [root@stmarks cpufreq]# cat cpuinfo_min_freq
> 1599960
>
> [root@stmarks cpufreq]# cat scaling_available_frequencies
> 3066590 1599960
>
> [root@stmarks cpufreq]# cat scaling_available_governors
> userspace performance
>
> [root@stmarks cpufreq]# cat scaling_cur_freq
> 1599960
>
> [root@stmarks cpufreq]# cat scaling_driver
> speedstep-ich
>
> [root@stmarks cpufreq]# cat scaling_governor
> userspace
>
> [root@stmarks cpufreq]# cat scaling_max_freq
> 3066590
>
> [root@stmarks cpufreq]# cat scaling_min_freq
> 1599960
>
> [root@stmarks cpufreq]# cat scaling_setspeed
> 1599960
>
> regards,
> oliver

Okay, good.  Now, do you have a frequency scaling governor running?
If you do and you do something CPU intensive (say, bzip2 a large file,
or compile a program or something), then you should see the frequency
in /proc/cpuinfo, scaling_cur_freq, and scaling_setspeed change to the
higher frequency while it is doing something.  Afterwards, it will
fall back down.  If this works, then everything is okay and you will
use your 3.06 GHz when you need it, and use less power at 1.6 Ghz when
you don't.

If you cannot seem to get it to go to the higher frequecy, try as root:
cat scaling_max_freq > scaling_setspeed
in the same directory as above.  If you are then running at the higher
frequency, then you probably do not have a governor installed.
Perhaps try "yum install cpufreqd" or look around for another
governor.  I'm not sure what all is available for a Mobile P4.

Jonathan

PS. You need to add the mailing list to the To: addresses when
responding, since I'm sending this directly to you as well.