Re: moving /home to /var/home

On Sun, 2004-11-14 at 15:37 +0000, Eliot Stock wrote:
> I have a box here which I want to completely rebuild on every FC
> release. I have one disk with two partitions. Currently / is mounted on
> the first 10GB and /var on the rest. To get from FC2 to FC3 I backed up
> everything I needed from / (/home, some stuff from /etc, that's about
> it) to DVD and then reinstalled, formatting / but leaving /var alone.
>
> So I'm thinking I might as well just move /home to /var/home. If I just
> log in in single user mode with no daemons running and move /home to
> /var/home, then edit /etc/passwd to change everyone's home directories,
> is that all I need to do? Does anyone know of any packages that assume
> home is /home, rather than using $HOME?

httpd assumes that UserDir directories (for http://blah.../~user)
are /home/*/public_html but this isn't configured on by default and can
be changed easily in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf

You could always add a symlink /home -> /var/home to be on the safe
side.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>