Re: Hotplug not hotplugging.

James McKenzie writes:

Sam Varshavchik wrote:

I just got around with playing with the USB ports on my generic laptop from LAC that's running FC2+kernel 2.6.8-1.521

If I have my camera plugged in when FC2 boots, I can open and use the camera just fine. lsusb sees a Sony camera. When I pull it out, usb-storage gets properly deregistered, as it should.

If I plug the camera in after the kernel boots, nothing happens. Zilch. No kernel messages, nothing whatsoever. The camera does see the cable connection, and flips over to USB mode as soon as the cable's connected, but nothing happens on the Linux side. lsusb shows nothing. I see nothing happening in /proc/bus/usb. When I reboot, the camera is accessible again.

Where do I need to look?

Sam:

What does dmesg say when you plug and unplug the camera?

Absolutely nothing.

This is definitely a kernel bug in 2.6.8. If I boot the 2.6.6-1.435.2.3 kernel errata for FC2, hotplugging begins to work again. For some reason SCSI emulation gets initializes as /dev/sdb, instead of /dev/sda, though. No clue why /dev/sda is already taken.