Re: fresh install observations

Clint Harshaw wrote:
Have a fresh install here and a handful of items are worth noting:

The default Gnome login looks more "Gnomish" than it previously did. For example the task bar with Applications and Actions is at the top of the screen, while a window list appears at the bottom.

Mozilla isn't among the menu items in Internet, although Mozilla-Mail is there. However, if the user starts mozilla from the command line, it's there. I wonder why it was left off the menu?

Go to usr/share/applications and find the file marked as mozilla.desktop change the setting marked NoDisplay=true to NoDisplay=false and then save the file. Mozilla should now be visible from the internet menu.

This is a minor item that sort of xxxxx me off a bit. It seems that this setting reverts to true without any apparent reason. It seems that this is an intentional step at limiting the menu ites which are worthwhile.

Sorry for the rant. I use mozilla and mozilla mail along with composer. The push to push firefox, thunderbird and not include composer is somewhat frustrating.

Jim

When starting KDE, we have the bouncing "Autostart" icon for a good 30-45 seconds -- I thought this bug was fixed back in FC2, no?

The windows have a nice rounded effect to them. Though in KDE, we still have the annoyance that a hover over the "X" on a window turns oddly into a double-headed arrow. (Thought that got some attention back in FC2 also, but maybe not.)

SELinux is enabled by default, but the user can disable it when installing/upgrading.

The command prompt in Gnome terminal looks slightly different:

old look:
[fred@localhost fred]$

new look:
[fred@localhost ~]$

no biggie, there, obviously.

The printer icon is not on among those on the task bar, like it used to be. It didn't need to be there in the first place, heh. I do wish the terminal icon was a part of the default task bar (I know it's easy to add, but I think it ought to be there by default.)

yum's got a different configuration setup -- I guess we'll have plenty of FAQ's about that. It'll be a big help to get some sample yum.conf's or files available.

That's all for now!

Clint

--
"Our attitude with TCP/IP is, `Hey, we'll do it, but don't make a big
system, because we can't fix it if it breaks -- nobody can.'"

"TCP/IP is OK if you've got a little informal club, and it doesn't make
any difference if it takes a while to fix it."
		-- Ken Olson, in Digital News, 1988