The *new* yum - gracefully changing mirrors

Hello everyone,

In FC 3 I like the *new* yum that automatically selects a mirror, very
nice.  There's only one problem with it.  In the few updates I've done
over the past few days, I always seem to get some mirror that is
extremely slow in some country across the globe.

Two questions:

1) Why doesn't yum find the *closest* (or one of) mirror to me?

2) When downloading updates for openoffice which are larger than
normal packages, I got frustrated when I had a 2 hour download time
and wanted to quit yum and do the updates later.  I did a CTRL+C and
got the following message:

[Errno 4] Socket Error: (4, 'Interrupted system call')
Trying other mirror.

It then jumped to another mirror and continued the download much much
much faster.  After it finished the download, yum quit.  I had to do
"yum update" again for it to install the packages.  Anyone know if
there a more "graceful" way to switch mirrors, if the one I'm on is
slow?

Thanks,
Kevin
--