Re: Local network issues with FC3

On Sat, 2004-11-13 at 19:00, Harry Moyes wrote:
> I'm having trouble with network connectivity on FC3.
>
> Not connectivity to the Internet, connectivity to devices on the local
> network.

> The local network is 192.168.1.0/24 with the firewall as the default
> gateway at 192.168.1.1 and a DNS server at 192.168.1.230.

> Local devices cannot get responses from the FC3 boxes either.
>
> Connection to addresses outside the local network work fine, (given that
> DNS queries fail as the boxes cannot see the local DNS server, absolute
> IP addresses work fine).
>
> Running Ethereal on the local network, as far as I can see, the FC3
> systems are not issuing arp requests onto the local network during
> connection attempts.

> However trusting the local network, switching off the firewall,
> switching off SELinux do not remove this behaviour.

Very strange behavior.  Verify the subnet mask being used on all
systems.  That would be the first thing I would suspect.  If pinging by
IP address does not work to local systems either the ping packet is
getting sent to the gateway or the reply is not getting back to the FC3
box.  Running tcpdump or ethereal on both systems used for the testing
should provide more information on what is happening.

There must be some ARP requests happening if it is able to talk to the
gateway.  Check that you have not duplicated the IP address.  I have
seen that cause some very strange results.  And if that is the case the
other system may not be flushing their ARP tables very quickly so they
keep responding to the other system instead of your new box.  Also check
your DNS server to make sure you have the correct name and IP address
associated for the new system.

Run ethereal or tcpdump directly on the FC3 system and on one of the
other test systems on the local network.  You may also need to check the
other systems on your network for firewall entries that block them from
responding to the FC3 systems.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

Small animal kamikaze attack on power supplies