Re: Wireless out of the box

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 21:51:08 -0600, Kevin Freeman <kfreem02@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-11-14 at 00:06 +0000, D. D. Brierton wrote:
>

> > On Sat, 2004-11-13 at 23:40, Brian Chase wrote:
> > > 802.11b cards are well supported, but not G
> >

> > Also does anyone know whether the Netgear WG511 or WAG511 PC cards
> > (PCMCIA) work? -- There are still some outlets if the UK offering a free
> > one of those cards if you buy Netgear's DG834G combined WAP/ADSL router,
> > which I'm tempted to as my current router (D-Link) is beginning to show
> > its age.
> >
> > Best, Darren
> >

> I have used a WG511 for about 1 year.  In FC3 it is very close to a
> "just works" installation.  You only need to visit
> http://www.prism54.org to download firmware and copy it to /lib/firmware
> (location is different for FC2).  The prism54 driver module is part of
> the standard FC2/3 kernel.  I don't believe the driver supports WPA-PSK,
> otherwise I have been satisfied with its performance.
>
> Kevin Freeman
>

> --

I have posted this same answer previously but it is relevant again.
Orinoco makes some great cards.  My bud ran RH9 on his laptop with no
problem and that was well over two years ago, so that has had some
time for the support to propagate its way out in the world.  I don't
know the models, but one of them will be the next wireless NIC I own.

As far as support goes, if you buy a G card, you may not get G service
everywhere, but that's life in the big city.  You get the throughput
that the router can support, not your card,  which hopefully is smart
enough to at least give you SOME service even if it is not at G speed
anyway.   By now all the G cards should be backwards compatible and
inclusive of B.   Makes sense that cards are gonna get upgraded faster
than a lot of routers probably.

HTH
Marc