Re: Unable to boot after upgrading from FC2 to FC3

John Swartzentruber wrote:
> It looks like the system is mostly working now. I'm running yum update,
> which is taking awhile to get all of the updates. Then I'll start
> figuring out whether everything is really working and try to see what
> the implications of "acpi=off" really are. It clearly solves a big
> problem, but does it cause other problems?

Well, a few newer computers (generally those that are a long way from
being a generic PC) need ACPI to configure themselves properly. Since
you've got yours as far as running yum, I'd say yours isn't one of
those...

Beyond that, ACPI is needed for many power saving modes. But with ACPI
off, APM will kick in, which may or may not do anything you want.

Personally, I only see one reason for running APM or ACPI on a standard
desktop, and that's only that I like auto power-off.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | To children ardent for some desperate glory,