Re: package installer

Brian Richardson wrote:

On 10-Nov-04, at 8:53 PM, Rick Patterson wrote:

I am a fairly new user I have installed Fedora Core2 and used it for a little while and would like to add some new programs but don't know how to install RPM's I have down loaded.Along time ago I used a redhat installation and it had a package installer but I can't find one with this one.
Help please

I've never found the graphical package installer to be particularly useful. A simple

rpm -Uhv *.rpm

from the terminal will install/upgrade all RPMs from the current directory and display progress as it does so.

Rick may be refering to a VERY old gui RPM package manager, I think it was called gnorpm or some thing similar, it came with the very early (but not incredibly early) redhat distrobutions, I think it was removed after RedHat 8, but don't quote me on that.

It was very handy, for people that don't like the terminal....

Dougie