Re: Maximum file system size of Fedora?

Matthew Miller wrote:

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 12:10:57PM +0800, Gallon Wong wrote:

I will have a 900GB to 2TB Raid 5 system, does Fedora support it? Which

Probably, assuming the hardware is supported. Ext3, the default filesystem, supports up to 4TB on 32-bit hardware (and up to 16TB on bigger archs -- possibly more, but I've never had the pleasure of having to worry about that limit). I believe ReiserFS supports up to 16TB on all architectures. XFS is limited to 16TB on 32-bit systems and 9 exabytes (!) on 64-bit systems.

version of Fedora will be better for file sharing only?

FC3, probably.

What is the max. size of filesystem do Fedora OS support? Where can i get
detailed or official info?

<http://batleth.sapienti-sat.org/projects/FAQs/ext3-faq.html> is one place. <http://www.namesys.com/faq.html#reiserfsspecs> for ReiserFS. <http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/index.html> for XFS.

There's also IBM's JFS, but I know very very little about that.

::peeks out from behind his meager RS/6000::

JFS suppors up to 1 TB for 32 bit , 4 petabytes for the "Enhanced JFS" that runs on 64 bit kernels.

Noteworthy is the fact is that currently, if I remember right, AIX will only support up to 16 TB, but that might have changed since 5.3.

MC