Re: swsusp

On 17:05 10 Nov 2004, Alberto Ferrante <alberto_ferrante@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
| can please anybody explain the reason why swsuspend cannot be compiled
| in all the newest fedora 2 kernels (from 2.6 something, if I well
| remember)? It seams to be an intentional thing since the support for
| this nice feature has been broken for a long time. I am testing the
| 2.6.9-1.2 and I always have the same problem in compiling when I add
| swsuspend. Clean kernel.org 2.6.9 kernel with the same settings compiles
| just fine.

Essentially because the RedHat kernels (and in general, most vendors'
kernels) are heavily patched from the vanilla kernels to make them stable.
It may be that the swsusp stuff is disabled in this process.

My personal approach is that when I want a special kernel I fetch a
vanilla kernel and patch as required. In this way i have "stock" vendor
kernels to fall back on, and my test kernels for my preferred use (eg
I'm running 2.6.9 with the swsusp patch right now, intenting to get to
using swsusp in the near future).

Patches in general are rather touchy about what they're applied to;
it's easy for a different source to be sufficiently different for a
patch to not apply.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Nonsense. Space is blue, and birds fly through it.      - Heisenberg