Re: Scanning Slides under FC[123]

Glen Staufer wrote:

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 09:44:30 -0600, Brian Fahrlander
<brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

   I have a great number of slides slowly decaying in their storage
area.  I guess I could put'em on a flat-bed and take my chances, but
since I don't have a scanner now, maybe I shouook into buying a
slide-scanner.

   Are these things generally like a regular scanner in terms of
installation, or do they use funky USB mechanisms?  Anyone have
experience with something like this?

I have a Minolta Dimage V and use vuescan. It works like a charm with only a few problems.

- couldn't get it to work under Linux with USB 1.1.  The scanner would
lock up.  XP handled the USB 1.1 connection just fine.   My desktop
system has USB 2 and the problems went away.
- whenever I scan to a tiff file, the file loads up into Gimp.  I
haven't figured out how to get it to scan to a disk file yet.
- vuescan needs to be run as root.  This is new with my installation
of FC3; under the TEST versions, my normal user account could access
the scanner.  I've tried a mod to the usbscanner script to set the
permissions to allow non-root users to access the scanner, but I don't
have the answer yet.

--Glenn

I don't know if this is your problem or not, but ...

There is an unresolved bug that incorrectly sets the permissions on usb scanners. One way to make it work as a user is to unplug/plug in the usb cable to the scanner after boot. This is a PITA and probably is not good for the connector in the long run. The alternative is to write a script that changes the permissions.

First, you need to identify the file with scanimage -L or sane-find scanner run as root.

In my case,
[root@gstpc-fc3 acroread]# scanimage -L
device `epson:libusb:003:002' is a Epson Perfection1240 flatbed scanner

Then create a script; in my case I have /usr/local/bin/fixscan which has a single line

chmod a+w /proc/bus/usb/003/002

I run fixscan as root after reboot and the scanner is then usable by my normal user account.

Hope this is useful.

Gerry