Re: X server hangs; reboot required

Vladimir G. Ivanovic wrote:
I'm disappointed that the random X server hangs are still present in
FC3. (I can't find the bug in Bugzilla; I know it's there because I
think I commented on it. I wasn't the original filer.)

What happens is that X exits abruptly. The screen contains whatever
was on it at the time, but of course nothing works. It is possible to
log in and start up another X session, but when that session exits,
the screen still contains what was on it when X first exited.

With FC2 and older kernels, this kind of hang happened a half to a
dozen times a day. Now the frequency is down to 1 every other day, or
so.

My biggest complaint with the FC2 X hangs is that the keyboard is always "dead" (no response, can't change VC to a text window) and *most* of the time the mouse is "dead" as well; though I have had a couple of hangs in the middle of actively using X and the mouse motion remains, mouse clicks are not processed; but most have occurred while the system in idle and running a screensaver. Its obvious because the screensaver stop changing. The rest of the sysytem continues to run normally. My http server still runs, I still get email, other processes continue to run. During the X hangs, I have to login remotely, and top shows that the "X" process is chewing all of the otherwise unused CPU time (usually > 85%), but is recoverable if the "X" process is killed (usually requires a "kill -9"). My frequency under FC2 is 1 hang every day or two.

I'm interested in knowing how these symptoms change in FC3....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx