Re: Mail client - run a program when receive an email

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Hardy Merrill wrote:

Comments below.

--- "Scot L. Harris" <webid@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 12:46, Hardy Merrill wrote:
For every email I receive I'd like to run a
program
and have the program have access to the data in
the
email. It's been a while since I've used email on
Red
Hat/Fedora (I got lazy and have been using yahoo
mail)
- I used to use mutt with fetchmail and procmail
but
never used that combination for anything like
this.
Can it do that? Can procmail kick off a program
and
give the program the contents of the mail as
input?

What other email clients can do that? Can
evolution?

Do you want the program to modify the email and pass
it on or just
analyze data in the email?

I'm thinking of creating a football pool email app - I know this has probably been done a thousand times before, but I'd like to do it myself just for fun.

My thought is to send members of the pool an email
listing all the games, and having each member respond
to the email with their picks.  My app would take in
each email and run a script - the script would parse
the email and ... etc.

So the answer to your question is I just need the
script to analyze the email - at this point I don't
think the script needs to modify the email nor pass it
on.  Actually, I do want the email "filtered" (or
sent) to a "football pool" mail box, so the
requirement is:
  1. pipe email to script, and
  2. send email to a specific mailbox

that really is the sort of thing you do in procmail.

take a look at man procmail and man procmailrc and look at the procmailex man page as well.

something like:

:0:
* ^Subject:.*football
football_pool

would deliver mails containing the subject including the word football to the football_pool folder...

I plan to install and try Evolution.  If I can't get
that to work I'll go the fetchmail/procmail/perl
script/mutt route.

Thanks!

Hardy

If you want to modify the message and pass it along in it's modified form then you probably want to look at using procmail. There are many things you can do to a message in procmail including modifying headers and piping the message through another script or program. You can even pass just the headers or the body of the message to the pipe or the whole thing.

In evolution you can pipe the message to a an
external script or program
(such as spamassassin) but it will only get a return
code, you can not
modify the content of the message through evolution
filters.

-- Scot L. Harris webid@xxxxxxxxxx

If you would understand your own age, read the works
of fiction produced
in it.  People in disguise speak freely.