Re: problems with ext3

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 12:42:19AM -0500, Erik Kjær Pedersen wrote:

> I have all of a sudden gotten problems with ext3 getting messages like
> kernel: journal commit I/O error
>
> I tried tune2fs -j /dev/hda2
>
> but am told I already have a journal.
> I read something about
> chattr -i .journal,
> but there is no file .journal
>
> Does anybody know what to do?

Are there hardware errors in the log files?
In most cases a disk I/O error is hardware.

Cables, fans, dust, power, heat sinks.... what else physical to check
with a bright light inspection.

Was there an external journal?

e2fsck tells you what.

You might wish to remount the FS read only and test.  Also remount as
ext2 read only for backup purposes. If there are media errors in
the journal ext2 might help as it does not use the journal.

I once had a fan problem on a northbridge chip.  DMA to and from the
disk heated up this chip and made me think that I had a bad disk and
or bad files system.  In my case dust built up under the heat sync fan
where I could not see it clearly.  The fan was still turning but no
air could flow.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	spam unwanted email.