Re: FC2, can't mount floppy

-----Original Message-----
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Nov 9, 2004 10:54 AM
To: 'For users of Fedora Core releases' <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: FC2, can't mount floppy

Greetings;

I just discovered I cannot mount a floppy disk, all /dev/fd0* devices
aren't valid block devices.

[root@gene etc]# mount -t vfat /dev/fd0h1440 /mnt/floppy
mount: /dev/fd0h1440 is not a valid block device
[root@gene etc]# mount -t auto /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device
[root@gene etc]# mount -t msdos /dev/fd0h1440 /mnt/floppy
mount: /dev/fd0h1440 is not a valid block device

Machine is FC2, running 2.6.10-rc1-bk15 kernel

Whats next?  I need to sneakernet some stuff to a dos machine.

Gene:

Is the disk a valid formatted floppy that you can read/write in a different machine?  It sounds like the disk is not valid or for some reason your floppy drive is not responding correctly.  Is the drive light flashing when you issue the mount command?  Also check /etc/fstab for the drive.  If you are using kudzu, an entry should be there for /dev/fd0 to /mnt/floppy.

James McKenzie

James McKenzie
A Proud User of Linux!