Re: Lock out after to many login attempts?

Am Di, den 09.11.2004 schrieb Jamie McParland um 3:50:

> Yea.. I notice I get a bunch of login attempts for ssh everyday using logins
> that don't exist. I have strong passwords, but I would rather not have
> people banging on my box.

Yes, we all see the script kids trying to login via SSH on boxes with
very weak password protection. This topic has been discussed to extend
here on the list. I think the last thread about it was "More SSH
'trolling'". If searching the list archive for "ssh" in the subject line
you will find much more.

A quick and easy thing is to let the SSH daemon listen on a different,
unused high port. This is nothing which brings security! But the scripts
actually run only against port 22, and you will see no more attempts.
This is my experience for the moment. There seem to be enough soft
victims so that attackers actually feel no need to improve their
scripts.

> I guess the software I was thinking of was portsentry... But now that I
> think about it, portsentry might not be what I need.

Yes, portsentry won't help because you can only let watch it for unused
ports.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 03:56:32 up 20 days, 1:36, load average: 0.48, 0.54, 0.43