Re: FC3 upgrade

On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 08:54:55PM +0100, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Sa, den 06.11.2004 schrieb Eric Tanguy um 20:44:
>
> > Someone know if it will be possible to upgrade to FC3 from FC2 ? Because
> > I remember the upgrade from FC1 to FC2 was very difficult.
>
> > Eric
>
> Sure it is possible. Most uncritical way is to do it using the CDs,
> although the online way should work too.

One caution....
While FC3 is new any on-line update will be slow and fragile.
For about three weeks the public mirrors are likely to be saturated
to a degree that downloads will time out and need to be restarted.

It will also be rare to find full wire speed downloads because of the
demand.

I recommend bittorrent, curl or the new version of wget to download
the ISO images.

Second caution:
Upgrades can present a system admin with some configuration changes.
If you have to ask how, and do not have a second machine you might
wish to watch this list and keep a note book of the solution/problem
topics that people report here.  My limited testing with FC3testN
tells me that with the exception of udev local device things the
update will be manageable.

I expect that some of my special 'dag' packages will break and need to
be updated.  Same is true for packages that I have installed by hand.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	spam unwanted email.