Re: Wireless card recommendations (Was: Linksys Wireless Card)

> Can anyone recommend Wireless "G" PCI cards that work
> easily with FC2?

There are no "G" cards that work with "out of the box" on any "free" OS
at the present time. This seems to be a result of the fact that the
manufacturers of the chipsets are  unwilling to release the specs
necessary for developers to build the necessary drivers, and/or provide
the firmware under a licensing arrangement compatible with open-source
licensing.

The card I have used for the past year is (now) close to an "out of the box" install. It only requires you to download its firmware, all else is included in FC2/3. Note that my card is PCMCIA form factor, but PCI should work just as easily.

I am happy with the Prism54-based cards, at least for an isolated, home-
based network.  I have used a NetGear WG511 for almost one year now.
The latest FC2/3 kernels include the driver - all that remains is to
download the (small) firmware from http://www.prism54.org and copy it
to /lib/firmware (note that this directory is different in FC2).

The only thing that does not yet work is advanced encryption (unless
there have been recent advances in development).  Any of the cards
referenced at the site above should work - just beware that several
manufacturers seem to switch chipsets without using a new model number.

My Cisco 350 said 'hello moto' straight out of the box. Yet to test it on a network but all the gubbins were there to say it was working alright.