Re: Help diagnosing a lockup

Federico Tello Gentile wrote, On 11/06/2004 12:07 PM:
I have used in this machine Fedora core 2 and RHL9 and every once in a
while I experience a lockup. The mouse pointer disappears, the
keyboard lights don't switch, everything looks freezed. I can only
hard reset the machine.

I assume crtl-alt-bspace does not work either to restart X?
Can you access the locked machine with another computer using telnet or ssh or vnc? That would indicate just X is locked.

This has happened with RHL9 and with FC2 with the default kernel and
with kernels compiled by myself (kernel.org official kernels unpatched
but I manually remove unneeded options).
It has happened while connected to the net (dial up) and when not
connected. When using some application and when using others.
I have looked in the kernel log and all seems normal (no oops no
panic) until it jumps in the timestamp to the moment I rebooted.
I need help diagnosing the reason for this.
The lockup happened twice one day, but it has been time where in a
week or 2 it has not happened.
I waited a while to see if it comes back, but it does not. I removed
some cron tasks, but it happened again.
Is there any driver that can cause this? I have some "unpopular" hardware.
My video card is old (Diamond Steath 64 DRAM PCI) I think it is using
the VESA driver. I have an internal ISA modem (USRobotics FAXMODEM
Voice  V.90) that I use as a regular serial port (it is not detected
as a PnP card, but I point the system-config-network as /dev/ttyS2 as
a serial port and it dials).
It is a Soyo 7VBA motherboard, with a P3 1 Ghz 256 MB RAM. It has
happened with and without the USB device enabled from the BIOS setup.

I have been having similar problems with stock nvidia "nv" driver and went to "vesa" instead and have yet to see a problem in 2+ weeks. Just can't get 1184x864 res anymore just 1024x768. You can check to make sure vesa driver is selected by looking in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

It has always happened while I was working at it, that is moving the mouse, never when I leave it playing music or just turned on but not sitting at it.

Mine would lock when starting an action with the mouse, not just moving the mouse I think.

Can it be a mouse driver issue? I have a Genious NetScroll (with
wheel) but I have to use it with the Microsoft intellimouse driver
(serial) so it detects the wheel.
I now believe it is some hardware/driver looping forever but how can I
diagnose this?

I never saw any errors in logs. Could only tell that system was alive by logging in remotely (I use vnc on a win95 box). My mouse cursor would still move but clicks or keyboard had no effect. I use a logitech trackball with wheel and generic drivers.

Another possible way to tell if system is totally crashed is the "autorun" daemon to detect cd's. It flashes the disk led every second and if it stops flashing you are probably totally crashed.

Also, at one time I had memory problems. You can run the memtest86 which is on the fc2 cd1 to do a long term and thorough memory test. My memory problems caused hard lockups and some file corruption. This was back when I was running rh 7.2. This might be a more likely cause than drivers since RH9 used XFree and fc2 uses xorg, a different driver set AFAIK.

Thanks for reading all.