Re: Installing Fedora 2 in VMWare 4.5.2

Oops...I think this one missed the list.......

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Andrew Mather <mathera@xxxxxxxxx>
To: aaloneft@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 14:46:36 +1100
Subject: Re: Installing Fedora 2 in VMWare 4.5.2
Hi Alexis,

> John Thompson <JohnThompson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote
>
> Alexis Aloneftis wrote:
> | I am not at all a Unix person and would very much like to learn. I
> | installed Fedora Final Core 2 on my P4 PC running WinXP inside a virtual
> | machine. The installer worked fine when I used at the installation boot
> | prompt the text ?linux linuxresolution=1024x768? (without the quotes).
> | The X-Windows GUI worked and installed fine until the end. When I
> | rebooted for the first time, I noted that all services said OK except
> | smartd which failed. Towards the end, when the X-Windows GUI is about to
> | come up, text line which go by quickly state that a monitor cannot be
> | found and I am sent to the command line for logging on.
> |

> | Can anyone help to get my gui environment up?

What I've found with FC2 and VMWare is that you need to have the same
colour depth specified for both the  Host OS and the guest.  I use FC
in VM's here at work, since we're not allowed to use Linux ;-)

You'll need to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Look towards the bottom of this file for the section "Screen".

Change the lines:  DefaultDepth   16    and    Depth 16
to be whatever your colour depth is.  (mine is 24, for  "Millions of colours")

Since the switch to Xorg from XFree86 that happened in FC2, I've had
to do this *every time* I've installed FC2 in a VM (probably 6 or 7
times).

> You need to install the VMWare-tools package.  This provides (among
> other things) an X server designed to work inside the virtual machine.
> To install the VMware-tools package, select "VM...Install VMWare Tools"
> from the main menu. This will create a "virtual" CD drive containing the
> VMWare-tools package. Mount the virtual CD (mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom
> /mnt/cdrom), unpack the vmware-tools tarball and run the installer
> script, which will walk you through the process.

Since moving from RH to FC, I've never managed to get this to work
properly and it's hosed my X config a few times.  I don't bother any
more and it (and X) works fine.

HTH.

Andrew