Re: IPTables for FTP

Eucke Warren wrote:

I noticed that no one suggested setting the pasv_min_port and pasv_max_port
in the /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf and then opening the corresponding ports in
iptables.  Any particular reason why?  I am not what I would consider
proficient enough with vsftp to know whether either of the previous two
answers addressed the whole issue of PASV mode.

-Eucke

The use of the iptables module for ftp connection tracking in conjunction with iptables rules to allow packets of state established,related and from anywhere to tcp port 21 dynamically enables packets for a data connection that is specified between the server and client by directives on the ftp control connection. In other words it will intelligently allow data connections that the control connection specifies. This is better than blindly opening specific or a range of ports that you constrain your ftp server to use, in that it only allows the necessary client address to access its data connection, not other clients attempting to do so.

Chris

  Chris Johnson, RHCE #807000448202021