Re: Friends afraid of Linux?

Frank Pineau wrote:

Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 11:33:11 -0700

On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 17:43 +0000, James Wilkinson wrote:

Robin Laing wrote:

Anybody know of a Windows that runs on a CD/DVD just in case?

Well, there is Windows PE: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/winpreinst/windowspe_tech.mspx

You might also try BartPE, which is a PE + plugins to run any number of additional apps.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

There are also a couple of commercial ones such as ERD Commander.

I am going to give BartPE a try if I can find a computer with Windows XP on it to make a copy with.

It looks like I am going to be getting a piece of hardware that will require Windows to update/upgrade once or twice a year. I am going to see if the software will run in Wine but I doubt it as it requires control of a comm port.

-- Robin Laing