Re: OT: Security....

Joel said:
> On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 23:19:39 +0000
> James Wilkinson <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
>> In particular, you can't really spoof IP addresses on SSH sessions. The
>> server needs to be able to get packets back to the (possibly attacking)
>> client, which means the client's IP address must be routable.
>
> Okay, educate me. Why is a spoofed IP address known to be not routable?
>
> --
> Joel <rees@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Because generally it isn't of value to use as a spoofed address an address
on your own subnet (a trace will get back to the correct network admin
anyway, who can start capturing packets and figure out the true MAC
address).  Consequently, most spoofing attacks will probably use:
      1) An address on the victim's subnet
      2) A 10./8 or 192.168./16 address
      3) A broadcast or multicast address
      4) A 127./8 address
      5) some other victims address (for a DDoS-type attack).

If the attacker is already on the same subnet as the victim, then #3 might
help, but someone could still trace the attack by MAC, so why bother.

In my experience, most ssh attacks seem to be launched from systems that
are already 0wn3d (if I'm using the correct terminology), so there is no
point in trying to cover up where the attack is coming from.

-se

-se