Keyboard hangs or becomes erratic

I have been having some trouble with the keyboard hanging in FC2 . It often occurs after a period of inactivity, but it can also occur in the middle of being used. The keyboard is dead but the mouse works. I must reboot to get it on again. I did not have this problem with the same keyboard under windows. In one instance the keybaord was dead but the system thougt it was getting keyboard input(random characters).

Any thoughts on how to trouble shoot this?

Hans