Re: 16x9 aspect ratio display

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 12:03:12 -0600, Bill Gradwohl <bill@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>Initially, I want to use the wider screen format for writing C code via
> >>emacs. More info per eye full.

For my money (well, actually for my employer's money, but that's
neither here nor there), you can't beat dualhead for development work.
 It rocks to be able to have gvim opened full screen on my main
monitor (the one directly in front of me) and a manpage, article,
reference code, etc., open on the other monitor.

> I'd also like to stop my self imposed practice of writing code \
> limiting each line to around 80 columns. That's from my 026 \
> keypunch days on a mainframe. With a wider screen, its more\
> likely I'll use the width to put an entire thought on one line as \
> opposed to doing line continuations because theres a better chance \
> that the line will hold the entire thought. i.e long if statements, etc.

I've been known to expand the editor over both screens to get a
superwide window (about 416 columns).  I never linebreak code unless
it symantically requires it.

I run two 19" monitors at 1280x1024 (5:4 aspect ratio), for a total
display size of 2560x1024, which is comfortable for nearly everything.
 Nvidia/Twinview is nice in that you can also define modes that only
use one monitor and xrandr can adjust between them on the fly.

--
Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs@xxxxxxxxxx
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )            ben.steeves@xxxxxxxxx