Re: Thinking on a "smart upgrading" to the near FC3

Matthew Miller wrote:
On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 11:42:51AM -0200, Thudor Brasilis wrote:

I'm already thinking on a fresh install of the soon to be current FC3.
I have  the separated /home partition  as a rule. Every time I need to
upgrade I need to backup the /home partition and start the installation
from scratch.
What I do think is that there must be a different way to do a fresh
install without needing to reformat the whole HD. I think that it is
only necessary to reformat the /boot and the /  (root) partitions.
Anyone has the "grand-mommy" recipe?

Or the "grand-daddy recipe". And luckily for the old folks, it's really
easy: simply do what you've been doing, but when you get to the partitioning
screen (and you'll need to make the choices that let you get to that screen
-- no automatic partitioning), there's options to choose which partitions
get reformatted and which don't. You're exactly right -- choose to wipe the
system partitions and leave /home untouched.

Leaving /usr and /var (the OP only wanted to reformat / and /boot) could be asking for trouble though; if you really want to keep your existing settings I'd be inclined to go for an upgrade rather than a fresh install without reformatting /usr, /var etc.

Paul.