Re: Intro to services

Scot L. Harris wrote:
to configure most redhat variants to boot various services:

	chkconfig --level 345 myservice on

that will configure it to run when entering run levels 3, 4, and 5.
	chkconfig
with no arguments gives you an informative usage message.
once you have things configured as to how you want them, you can
reboot or
	telinit <runlevel>
(think youll have to hop to another level then back to your current)

Actually once you have the service configured you can issue commands
like:

service sendmail start

to start that particular service instead of jumping runlevels.

indeed you can. if you work like me though, you will have configured a few services to run at boot time but forgotten which ones exactly. flip flopping runlevels for me catches the ones i forgot to start! -- jacob