Re: Fedora Core 2 hangs at enabling swap space

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 12:42:04 -0700, dkutz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<dkutz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I recently installed Fedora Core 2 on my laptop (a dual boot system Windows XP
> FC2) an Averatec 6100 Pentium 4 with 3 ghz processor, 512 mb ram, 40gb hd, and
> the install went ok but when i try to boot to FC2. I got an error message that
> said, "modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting floppy
> (/lib/modules/2.6.543585smp/kernel/drivers/block/floppy.ko): no such device".
> I fixed this problem by booting in as a single user. To fix this I rebooted
> the system and booted in as a single user and edited the first line of the
> file modprobe.conf to read "install floppy /bin/true" and that fixed that. I
> rebooted and the system now hangs at enabling swap space. I have looked for a
> solution on many search engines and in IRC chat to no avail. Can anyone help
> me with this. Thanks in advance. PythonPro
> dkutz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Did the "Enabling Swap Space" get a green [OK]? If it did, it may be
the next process that is hanging. Don't have a Fedora machine handy at
the moment, but from memory, it might have something to do with
getting/setting time from the hardware clock. Anyway, check if you get
an [OK] when enabling swap space. If you do, try to find what the next
step is in the startup scripts.

dex