Re: The Latest on DNS Servers

Am Fr, den 22.10.2004 schrieb Roy W. Erickson um 19:26:

> > About how large zones do we talk?
> 200 machines on two subnets

That is not really much. I would that even call a small DNS environment.

> > > Whats the latest "best practice" for DNS servers these days?
> >
> > What do you have in mind saying "best practice"? Can you be more
> > specific? You need a howto to set them up? Or you need advises on how to
> > administer a DNS?
>
> Is it still primary/secondary or is their some new cluster capability?
> For example, what is posadis: http://www.posadis.com/

Yes, it is still master / slave practice. Have in mind that the servers
should be in different (sub)nets (some registrars even demand that fact
for official domain setups).

I do not see on the posadis site within the feature list anything
different from that established scenario with master / slaves. The
feature list is pretty identical with what bind offers.

> > > I would like to try a fail-over pair if possible. Does Fedora have
> > > fail-over capability?
> >
> > This is where master and slave DNS come to play. bind9, which ships with
> > Fedora, supports master / slave setups since ages.
>
> When the primary goes down I recall that the clients timeout in a bad
> way until they fall back to the secondary. Is there a way to avoid that?
> Or is that what the slave does?

The slave(s) is for redundancy of the DNS information and the slave(s)
automatically synchronize with the master, on which the DNS information
is administered. You can too run a master / master setup, but have then
to manually care for current DNS information on both servers as no
mechanism will do so.

> > > Some internal admins want a GUI based DNS. Any such GUI front ends?
> >
> > How much experience with DNS do you and the internal admins have with
> > administering a DNS? Does the data change frequently?
>
> I've set up the bind 4.9.4 running in the office now. It's on an SGI O2
> according to the O'Reilly DNS book (1st ed ;) Secondary as well.

Making changes in the bind zone is not that difficult and I don't really
see the need for a GUI. Though there is software: Fedora ships
system-config-bind. Other software under GPL can be found on
http://freshmeat.net, i.e.

http://www.phpcult.com/binder.php
http://freshmeat.net/redir/mfedit/37618/url_homepage/mfedit.php

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 21:41:50 up 2 days, 18:21, load average: 1.20, 1.52, 1.47