Re: Mic-in not working on nForce2 IGP

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 21:28:29 -0400, Kevin J. Cummings
<cummings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Rasmus Back wrote:
>

> > Hi
> >
> > I'm trying to get skype to work on FC2. I have a headset which I've
> > connected to the headphone and mic-in ports on my motherboard
> > (A7N8X-VM/400, nForce 2 IGP). When making a call I can hear the
> > receiver, but the receiver can't hear me. I suspect that the mic-in
> > port is misconfigured, the driver (i810) may think it's the rear
> > speakers port or somesuch, but I don't know where to test this. I've
> > played around with the mic slider in gnomes' alsa mixer, but no
> > change.
> >
> > Is anyone using a microphone with an nForce2 board and the i810
> > driver? What settings should I try to change?
>
> Mine works after I unchecked the MUTE box and checked the Rec. box in
> the mixer.  nForce2 ABIT NF7 w/AC97 sound (snd-intel8x0 module).

Well I think I've tried all possible combinations in alsamixer now,
but I finally got it to work. I had to choose Mic2 under Mic Select in
alsamixer, set Capture on the Capture slider and set this slider to
100. I must have called the skype echo test service a hundred times
while testing all the possibilities :) Plain alsamixer seems to
understand my soundcard better than gnome-alsamixer or kmix, the gui
tools accept options that apparently are mutually exclusive (checked
rec boxes on several sliders at once). Oh well, at least it's working
now.