Re: migrating from redhat 9 to fedora

On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 01:36, Mikkel Bo Hansen mihan99 wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a question about migrating from RH 9 to Fedora. I feel that it will be a good idea, but I am concerned about the data on my computers. While installing Fedora, do I then have to make backup of all my files? Or does Fedora take care of this, and just - in a sense - update RH 9?
> I am running RH 9 on my stationary computer, which works perfectly. But my laptop is another issue... How well is different configurations supported in Fedora? My laptop is a G200, with a Pentium 1500 centrino processor. The problem is the screen.
>
> That was a lot of questions, hopefully you can help me out. But take your time, with a load like this, I don't expect an answer tomorrow.
>
> best regards
>
> -- Mikkel

Hello Mikkel

It is always a good idea to back up your data before any major change to
your computer no matter what.  I cannot count the numbers of times that
the time backing up data has saved me. The "Anaconda program" which
installs/upgrades Fedora does not do any backing up at all. If you
choose to upgrade it should go smoothly but its always better to be safe
than sorry.

If you are going to make the plunge, I would start with the laptop first
since it is the one having issues with RH9. I am not familiar with the
G200 so I cannot attest for its compatibility.  Maybe someone else can
help with that.

But trust me on the backups :)

Good Luck

MC