Re: Enabling VNC

On 2004-10-21 22:22:31 -0400, "Kevin J. Cummings" <cummings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

Well, I ended up rebooting the machine and didn't need to restart the X server. I can log into the machine via ssh with X11 forwarding and then issue

vncviewer localhost:1

No, if the machine you logged into is running at initlevel 5, and you are trying to connect to the console X server, you should use:

vncviewer localhost:0

I'm very copnfused by your insistance of connecting to DISPLAY :1.
I thought you were trying to control your console X11 session?
I am not insisting on using Display :1. Whatever is the best option, that is what I would like to use.
I have successfully been able to open the firewall and to log in via a client and also after I ssh into the machine and do

vncviewer localhost:0

I have not been able to successfully been able to do that from my macintosh. However, that may simply be the fault of the vncviewer that I am using. Has anyone else done this from a Mac?

Thanks again for everyone's help. You have helped another newbie jump through the hoops of learning Linux.
Jeremy