Re: Enabling VNC

Jeremy Conlin wrote:
On 2004-10-21 18:23:30 -0400, gillian <gillian.bennett@xxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

Perhaps you could check the MTU of your machine and the remote host? We have had problems with VNC displaying similar behavior because the MTU's didn't match. To diagnose, you run a ping with varying sized packets between the hosts and tcpdump the traffic in very verbose mode. That way you get the packet sizes being reported.

What is MTU? How do I ping with different sized packets? What would that tell me?

MTU is the Maximum Transmission Unit of a TCP connection. Basically, its the largest sized packet that can be sent over a TCP/IP connection.

Also check to make sure that VNC is actually listening on the port you
think it should be. You can netstat -npl to check for that.

I have done netstat and have found out that it is listening on the right port (after fixing iptables).

The fact that you are getting a password prompt, and seeing part of a splash screen seems to re-inforce that claim.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx