Re: How to view .pdf file under FC1 and Motherboard upgrade question.

David Le wrote:
Hi,

I'm a new user of FC1 and would like to know if there
is a way to view an .pdf file under FC1. I heard about
xpdf and tried this command, but it said:

bash: xpdf: command not found

Hi David, and welcome to Fedora!

The response you are getting at the terminal indicates your installation of Fedora did not include the xpdf program. Since you are new to FC1, I'll take the liberty of introducing you to a very good program that will allow you to easily install xpdf, it is called yum. There is a fine tutorial on how to set up yum to handle all of your updates and software management at this url:

http://www.fedorafaq.org/fc1/#InstallSoftware

Notice in particular the url -- this is the correct fedorafaq.org page for you to use with FC1 (since FC2 is out, there is a separate page for it).

You can read all of that and set yum up, or you can follow these instructions to accomplish the same thing:

1. open a terminal and as root, save this file as /etc/yum.conf:
    http://penguinsolutions.org/fedora/yum.conf

2. then install the xpdf program with this command given at a root prompt:
    yum install xpdf

To update your system, run this command at a root prompt:
    yum update

If this is the first time you have updated your system, then prepare for a loooootttttt of files to be downloaded and installed.

So give it a go and let us know how it goes. Again, welcome to Fedora Core!

Hope this helps,
Clint