Re: Sound Card Upgrade Issues

Chris Clarke a écrit :
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to upgrade my sound card and having some problems. I've got an onboard sound card which fedora recognized and setup no
problem, but I'd like to use a Creative Labs Audigy LS card that I got
the other day. So I rebooted the computer and disabled the onboard
sound through BIOS, then I shut it down and popped the new card in. Kudzu said nothing about finding new hardware, and the boot went fine.
If I use "lspci" the new Audigy card is listed and recognized, but the sound is still coming out of the onboard soundcard ?!? I've
checked in the BIOS and it claims that the onboard sound is disabled,
but it's lying 'cause I'm listening to xmms right now :) Any ideas on
what I can do? TIA,

Chris

From XMMS you can choose your hardware (Prefs / alsa plugin / config)
From MPLAYER you can only choose when using OSS
From RHYTMBOX you can't choose.

If you don't want to (can't) disable the first card (my case because it is my webcam : usb_audio)

For the programs which use alsa with the "default" card, you can change it in the ~/asound.rc (or /etc/alsa.conf), example :

        pcm.!default {
        type hw
        card 1
        }

        ctl.!default {
        type hw
        card 1
        }

You can also try to modify /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf, but I think it's more dangerous...

I've make the following change :
      defaults.ctl.card 0
    defaults.pcm.card 0
    defaults.ctl.card 1
    defaults.pcm.card 1

And all hw:0,0 to hw:1,0

It's work quite well...
I only kept a error in some soft (mplayer) about /dev/mixer ?

If someone have more explanation...

Cordialy