Re: Kernel upgrade and yum managed nforce network drivers

Nick Pierpoint wrote:
Hello all.

I have an onboard network port on my athlon and use the nvidia nforce
drivers to handle network connections.

I download the drivers from http://www.nvidia.com/linux and manually
compile them against my current kernel.

This is a pain so I tend to exclude kernel updates from my standard yum
updates which probably isn't a brilliant idea.

Can I just "make this work" using yum?

You should be able to use the forcedeth ethernet driver for your nForce ethernet connection. I do. That's one less dependancy on the nVidia proprietary kernel module. I only use the nVidia module for 3D graphics on my GeForce MX video card since snd-intel8x0 handles the onboard sound support! And its not so bad, when I boot the new kernel for the first time, I boot to init level 3, install the new module using the nvidia-install program (checking for updates too), and then boot to init level 5. Only takes a few extra minutes....

I've noticed kernel-module-nvidia-2.6.8-1.521 on the livna yum
repository and some detail on fedoraforum but am a bit nervous about
getting going down this road.

How does the process work?

I dunno, I'm happy rebuilding my own from the nVidia package....

If I go ahead and allow kernel updates in my standard yum update script
will this nvidia module keep my network card (and me) happy?

forcedeth comes prebuilt with every new kernel.... So does snd-intel8x0....

Thanks for any help.

-- Kevin J. Cummings kjchome@xxxxxxx cummings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx cummings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx