Re: discount dell laptops -- the sordid *real* story

On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 07:57, Thomas Cameron wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 09:04 -0400, Lew Bloch wrote:
> > ["Robert P. J. Day" explained how he was unable to buy the Dell
> > "special" that spammed this list recently.]
> >
> > I'm sure the OP of the spam can take a lesson from this.  Here is one
> > person who lost time and gained frustration because Dell just didn't
> > live up to the hype.  Those who forwarded Dell's marketing hype,
> > especially if they were not rewarded for their effort, can now realize
> > that they were also ripped off.  They became part of Dell's viral
> > marketing for their diseased business, didn't help anyone, actually
> > increased someone's frustration (perhaps many someones') and most likely
> > didn't get compensated.  Where's the win?
> >
> > Good work, bucko.
>
> OMG, get over yourself.  Take it in the spirit it was offered and quit
> being a jerk.  I thought that a big discount might be of interest (it
> certainly was to me), I had nothing to gain from it and was trying to
> save some fellow Linuxers a few bucks.  The intent of the original post
> was to be helpful.
>
> You self-appointed "list police" crack me up.  Man, it must be a really
> sad life to lead if you have to make yourself feel better by flaming
> someone for trying to do something nice.
----
best just to let this thread die

You did what you thought was right and evidently, I am not alone in
being appreciative but unfortunately, was just an hour too late to get
what I would have purchased.

I suppose that there is validity to the notion that this equated to
spamming the list but so be it. What's done is done.

The important thing is that people care. You cared enough to share what
you believed was a very good offer (I thought it was). Others cared
enough to suggest that this posting wasn't appropriate (self appointed
policing). I appreciated everyone's caring.

No amount of discussion here is going to settle this either way.

Craig