Re: Enabling VNC

On 2004-10-19 16:32:27 -0400, "Kevin J. Cummings" <cummings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

Jeremy Conlin wrote:
My xstartup looked nearly the same. I uncommented the exec... line earlier and just now uncommented the unset... line. After rebooting (and restarting vncserver) and closing the firewall it came up just the way I expected it to. Now, how can I configure the firewall to accept vnc connections without turning it off? And how can I get vncserver to start on boot?

What has been discussed so far is how to create a VNC connection to a new virtual desktop (thus the :1 in the display name).

I think what you are looking for is how to control your console X11 desktop from a remote machine.
What I need is to see the GUI desktop of my FC2 machine from a remote machine. I would prefer to do this without a client (i.e. using only X11) if possible; if not I can use a VNC client.

This can be done with a small change to your X11 config.

In your Section "Module", include the following:

	# Load the REALVnc module
	Load	"vnc"

Then, later on in your Section "Screen", you will need a line like:

Option "passwordFile" "/root/.vnc/passwd"
Where are these sections? I have never changed my X11 config.

This should allow to to connect to your :0 X11 display and control it via VNC.

Thanks for your help. Someday I will become proficient at Linux (I hope).

Jeremy